Saturday, August 20, 2016

What do College Students and College Professors say about Digital Portfolios?

"If what we want is to deepen learning and to facilitate transfer of knowledge, e-portfolios provide a strategy that allows students to archive their work over time."Here are some quotes from a website created by the AACU

College Professor
If what we want is to deepen learning and to facilitate transfer of knowledge, for the first time, e-portfolios provide a strategy that allows students to archive their work over time. The critical part is that they also use those artifacts for intentional and promoted reflection that supports connecting the learning across courses and disciplines and to their own lives and passions. In this way, e-portfolios become a scaffold of learning experiences from the curriculum and the cocurriculum that students use to demonstrate and articulate the increasing sophistication and complexity of their understanding and thinking throughout their educational career and beyond.
Judith Patton, associate dean,
School of Fine and Performing Arts, Portland State University



College Student
I didn’t know what an e-portfolio was when I first heard about it in class….My professor suggested to me that I develop the “about me” section of my e-portfolio because there, I would have the opportunity to write more about myself and so I did. In that first e-portfolio I wrote about Palmira (Valle), the city where I was born in Colombia, and I wrote about Medellin, where I used to spend my vacations of school….and I wrote about the cultural assimilation process I was going through.
The second time I was asked to develop my e-portfolio, I had a lot more to share. I was in third semester at LaGuardia and I had already taken most of the classes connected to my major, so I decided include my academic work and goals that would make my family proud of me….my priority was to focus on my personal growth in my schoolwork and what I was learning at LaGuardia. After putting up my projects in my e-portfolio, I then started to think more about my future and my career.
Now, with more knowledge of computer programs for developing Web pages, I decided to use my e-portfolio as an opportunity to show and demonstrate all the skills that I have learned throughout my journey at LaGuardia Community College….All together, my third e-portfolio demonstrates me as a professional who is looking toward her future and who has many goals to reach.
Not only have I gained technical skills, but I’ve learned how to express myself as a serious student and a hard worker. The different sections of my e-portfolio made me realize the important things about how I see myself starting at LaGuardia, how I see myself now and in my future. My experience with e-portfolio at LaGuardia has made me see more of whom I want to be and how I can accomplish my goals.
Student,
LaGuardia College

"The different sections of my e-portfolio made me realize the important things about how I see myself starting at LaGuardia, how I see myself now and in my future."

See more by clicking HERE

https://www.aacu.org/publications-research/periodicals/benefits-e-portfolios-students-and-faculty-their-own-words

============

KEY POINT:  Office 365 users can use WIX to make free websites


Here's a way to make free websites in Office 365 using wix

Office 365 users can now create code-free websites without ever having to leave the confines of the program thanks to a partnership with Wix.com.
Office 365 subscribers will be able to select Wix.com to create and then launch an online presence from within the platform and it's even open to subscribers that already host a domain using Office 365 (which makes us wonder whether this has anything to do with Microsoft's decision to kill Sharepoint's Public Website feature).
Wix offers small businesses and individuals an extensive tool to create websites with hundreds of templates to choose from, a drag-and-drop website editor, mobile and e-commerce integration, and the chance to input business management apps from the Wix App Market.
Office 365 is a subscription-based alternative to the desktop-based version of Office, which is same way that Windows in the future after it announced plans to offer "Windows-as-a-service" through continuous updates to the platform.

http://tinyurl.com/office365wix

No comments:

Post a Comment