Monday, October 10, 2016

Thanks to Ross Cooper and his blog, I found some blogs that students in New Zealand have posted.

Students can learn by looking at the work of other students.

Why not encourage students in Florida to write to students in New Zealand and ask for comments on each other's work?

Here's what I found





This is what I wrote in the comments


Here is Angela's work



This is a paper that Dr. Barrett recommends




Here is a school in New Zealand that is
doing pioneering work with "asking students
to publish their classwork."

Here is an example of a student's work

TinyURL.com/sunNZblog
tinyURL.com/nzSUNblog

Comments by two students

Comments by a teacher in Florida

OOPS, sometimes posts get blocked...
Here are some of my comments...

your blog reply has a "suspected bot" warning and it's blocking two of my comments.


Here is what I wanted to reply to   Dr. Barrett

SHE POSTED  



Thanks for the post. I like the way you linked digital portfolios with digital citizenship. I have been researching electronic portfolios for more than 25 years (http://electronicportfolios.org), and I agree with your position that students should use what might be called “worldware” (software in use in the world). I just posted my own blog entry with my response to a K-12 teacher who asked about current research. http://eportfoliosblog.blogspot.com/2016/08/current-research-on-eportfolios-in.html
(You will see that I mentioned your post). I also pointed out the research from K-8 schools in Auckland, New Zealand, where they use Blogger (with Hapara’s Teacher Dashboard–developed with these schools) to document achievement in writing. I have been following those schools for at least six years, and they attribute some of their success to students writing for authentic audiences (they even put a map on student blogs to show where readers come from around the world).http://manaiakalani.blogspot.com/2016/07/blogging-supports-writing-outcomes.html

My reply  (I dropped in "x" here and there to try to disrupt the notion that I'm a "bot")


Dr. Barrett, your work at ex portfolios  x  .   xorx g guided the creation of the FreeWebsiteProject  .  x  blogspot     xcom.  What admirable pioneering work you did to collect suggestions and demonstrations in the past.   My principal saw the TEDx talk you did and decided that students need to publish their work.  Our school currently has blogging on blogger  x .  x  cxom and we have three student books published through Createspace  x      x  coxm.    

I started scrolling down Ross Cooper's page to leave a comment ("I agree:  students need to use "real" blogging materials that are OPEN, not portfolios that hide behind the school's firewall")... and when I saw your comment, Dr. Barrett, I just had to thank you publicly for your work.   

(To anyone reading this post, please take a moment to go to Dr. Barrett's website and see the diagram about digital storytelling.   I showed this to my principal and to some students and some students wanted to start blogging after seeing the diagram.)
You can see some of the sites that my students have started  h x ttp  :   / xx /   wx wxw.  TxINY   . xcc   /  xFreeSites
You can also see hx t x t p : / x / tinyurl  .   xcom  /  sun daniel which is a free ebook that one of my students created.    Best wishes from Florida, Steve


(I'd like to share some links, but the posting program "blocked as a suspected bot"... please contact me at ManyPosters  [at]  g x m x  ail  .  xcom for additional links.  I also have free ebooks available to encourage posting, blogging and writing books with Createspace)


================  




I also wanted to leave the following comment to 
Ari Yares



Ari Yares says

Ross – While I agree that digital portfolios are a way to build web presence for our kids, I’d be hesitant to say that they are a complete replacement for the resume. I think they serve different purposes and can certainly be connected. Certainly, as our students build their web presence, their portfolio should include their work history and what they did and accomplished in their work.
As our students enter the workforce, they are going to find that they cannot document some of their work online. This could be because of confidentiality (e.g. as a school psychologist, I’m not going to put a child’s evaluation online) or privacy concerns.
Beyond this, as someone who does a lot of interviewing and hiring, a resume can represent a print version of who you are as a professional. I’m much more likely to have someone’s resume in front of me during an interview than their digital portfolio or website, in part because I don’t want a screen between the interviewee and myself. The resume should encourage me to look at work products in their portfolio and get me to look at the candidate deeper.

==== 


here is my reply


No comments:

Post a Comment